BMX (Bicycle Moto Cross) is one of the fastest growing sports in Australia. It is one of the only sports where total family participation can take place. Riders of all ages(from 2 to 50+) can compete in organised race meetings throughout Australia. The sport of BMX racing ranges from Club level right through to State, National and World Championship level for all ages. BMX is also an Elite Olympic Sport! Any rider has the chance to ride at National Championships and compete in World Championships.
BMX is not only a sport for boys and Dads, girls and Mums can race and enjoy competition in their own age groups with other females. BMX is a family sport where great friendships can be made and the competition structure can give families the opportunity to visit many new places.
Any 20 inch or 24 inch (cruiser) BMX bike will be fine. Remove any mudguards, chain guards, kick-stand, pegs and reflectors, for the safety of yourself and other riders. Ensure that there are no sharp edges on your handlebars (i.e. No torn grips with exposed metal) or pedals, etc. You need a rear hand brake that works. One of the Officials will check your bike for you and help with any minor adjustments.
WHAT TO WEAR?
- LONG PANTS or track pants that are fitted at the ankle are acceptable to race in.
- LONG SLEEVE TOP or Race Jersey that is fitted at the wrist.
- Any type of GLOVES that have complete hand and finger protection.
- A full face HELMET that covers the ears. Some clubs have a spare that you can borrow.
- You must wear fully enclosed SHOES to protect your feet.
BMX AUSTRALIA MEMBERSHIP
Sprocket & Open Licence - $41.15 for a 4 month Licence, which covers insurance and membership to BMX Australia.
Mini Wheeler (balance bike riders) - $50.85 for a 12 month Licence, which covers insurance and membership to BMX Australia.
Weekly gates and race meetings are hosted for all BMX Australia licenced riders for a cost of $2 per rider for gates and $7 per rider for racing.
If you wish to continue racing after the permit expires then annual costs apply, as follows (as at 1 Jan 2017):
- Upgrade 4 month Sprocket or Open Licence – deduct $20.00 from Full Licence Costs listed below
- Sprocket Licence $120.45
- Club Licence $101.90 (allows racing at Canberra BMX Club ONLY, no major events or other tracks)
- Open Licence $126.60 (allows racing at any track in Australia)
Please follow the link to BMX Australia's website for further membership information or to register. - http://www.bmxaustralia.com.au/en-us/membership/newonlinemembership.aspx
If you have any questions or would like to check out what BMX racing is all about, feel free to come down to Canberra BMX Club during one of our events and ask us about the sport and how you can get involved or send us an email at: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.